Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A vacation from a vacation

I took 592 photos on our Cape Town tour.

Most of them were landscape photos; it seemed like every time I turned my head in our huge silver van we were entering a new terrain.  Yet I still couldn't capture the beauty of all that we saw, or the memories that were made with those 592 pictures.

I viewed the Cape of Good Hope, where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet.


I got to see Nelson Mandela's jail cell on Robben Island.


I toured a Holocaust museum in Cape Town that paid tribute to those who lost their lives during Apartheid and the Holocaust.



I saw, in bewilderment, the 2nd largest township in the country, and I tried to capture its essence against the beauty of Table Mountain.



I climbed Table Mountain and celebrated with friends at the top as we joked about how we were told we'd be doing a "leisure walk" that day.



I saw, with delight, penguins and and rock dassies and ostriches and baboons.







I tasted wines in the vineyards of Stellenbosch and learned about different flavors that hit the nose and palate.




I stayed at four different backpackers, and I thought about how much fun it would be to open a backpacker some day.



And I thought about how I still have two more months of this.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jessi - What a poetic entry..Your best yet! I can FEEL your excitement and love for what you are experiencing. A chance of a lifetime and you are capitalizing on the opportunity just as I knew you would...blooming where you are planted!!! You open that backpacker and I will be there!!! Your first stay...Who knows..maybe dad will even come!!! Mom