Wednesday, February 18, 2009

3 weeks

I've been in Port Elizabeth for 3 weeks, and I just got wireless at Annie's Cove.  I'm not complaining or anything since TIA (This is Africa,) but I've missed it more than I thought I would.  I have a lot to catch everyone up on, so I'll just start from the beginning.


The two 8-hour flights were a bit more stressful than expected, but I made all of time and arrived at Annie's Cove by 10 p.m. on Wednesday, January 28.  This is what my room looked like then.

And this is more or less what it looks like now.


On Thursday we went to campus, and we got to see the monkeys.



And on Friday we left for Bush camp at Umlambo.

By the time we arrived I was sunburned and exhausted from pulling an all-nighter, but Bush camp was fun.  I did the zip-line (more photos from that later) and we did community-building activities all weekend and went for a long hike through the surrounding orchards and farms. Most of the people who went to Bush camp live at Annie's Cove, and all of us were international students.  I'd met a lot of people by then: from the States, various countries in Africa, and other countries like Norway, Sweden (hey Kline!,) New Zealand, and Ireland.  It has been very interesting to be one of few people from the southern U.S. because to everyone else I have a thick southern accent.  (There is only one other student here from Ole Miss, and he's from Memphis; the other "southerners" go to school at UNC-W.)  

I don't have much more time to post today, but I will post more frequently now that I'm back online. I will say that I've already learned a lot about South Africa and the people and issues here. I've also met so many wonderful people, and I've had a surfing lesson!  I've also been to both a cricket and rugby match. I am constantly learning new things and trying to wrap my head around the cultural differences between home and here, like the racism (and the comparison by some locals to the racism in the U.S.) Much more on all of that later, but until then, I have a list of some things I've learned since I've been here.  Some are funny, some serious, and I've already thought of more since I wrote this over a week ago.

1.  Don't feed the monkeys
2.  There are no single checks at restaurants
3.  Air conditioners aren't necessary
4.  Port Elizabeth really is both the friendly and the windy city
5.  "Just now" can mean any time between 5 minutes and 3 hours, (and I'm learning to be okay with that!)
6.  Bottled water always comes in two varieties: sparkling or still.  I don't like sparkling.
7.  South Africans love Beyonce. And Coldplay. And Britney Spears. And No Doubt. And Alanis Morisette.  I've known this since I got on the plane in Jo-burg, and it has made the transition easier. 
8.  Having the phone number of a reliable, inexpensive cab driver is a big deal. (We love Pang!)
9.  NMMU doesn't have the greatest reputation among locals.  I've heard it called "No more money university," among other things-- more on this later.
10.   People are excited to discuss politics with the American students.

I hope everyone is doing well.  Take care!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Jess!! I am so glad you're having fun. I have a letter in the mail for you - let's see how long it takes you to get it!

Africa time is hard to get used to - but it is wonderful.

Hang in there, definitely don't feed the monkeys, and find a cute african lover!

-Melissa

World_Kaleid said...

Great post! I can't wait for more!!!

Mom said...

Yay! Looks and sounds like lots of fun! Can't wait to hear about surfing experience! What classes are you taking? I somehow have missed that info....Love, love.....miss ya

Kline said...

Yay Jessi is online and connected!
I am mad at myself that I am just now getting to read these but now that my thesis is more or less done, I'm going to have plenty o' stalking, uh, blog reading time. :-D

I am happy that you've met some Scandernavians down there in S.A!! They love it so much. All of them. I felt sure that you'd run into one or thirteen.

I totally relate to your being the only southerner there! I had the same situation in Sweden and all of the mid-westerners thought I was such a hick most likely. OH, and you tell those beach-going UNC Wilmington kids that they are so not southern. Speaking as someone with an NC tag on his car, of course. :-D

lololove